Thursday, April 10, 2014

Thursday: Party with the Kunal Khemu?

It's not strictly Bollywood related but I'll start you off with this interview with Himanshu Suri because I thought it was interesting.

Being in India just meant I was thinking about race less and I didn’t need to talk about Indian identity. I could talk about myself in a really honest way whereas in New York [that's] something that I’m constantly thinking about. So it took me out of that kind of zone and brought me somewhere I could just make honest art instead of Das Racist where I kind of hid behind humor, and my solo material where I hid behind being this Indian guy from New York.


----

Since I've been thinking a lot about subtitles and translation lately, I particularly enjoyed this piece:

Andaz Apna Apna dialogues lost in translation

Aise lag raha hai jaise bandar ke sar pe tarbooz: He looks like a monkey with a watermelon on his head.

----

IIFA is coming… pre-coverage from the Guardian.

What makes the IIFAs different to the Academy Awards is that normal members of the public can simply buy a ticket to attend. I say normal, but $562.25 (£335.85) – the cheapest seat in the house – may be a little beyond the reach of many people. If money is no object, or you're simply feeling decadent, then $3,294.75 (£1,968) can put you just 17 rows from the stage. It can also get you into the night before's ceremony and, intriguingly, the invite-only IIFA Rocks stage show on Thursday. It seems that where Bollywood is concerned, money talks.

IIFA was a bit out of my price range this year… but I look forward to reading all the coverage of money talking. I still can't believe IIFA didn't want to sponsor me! I mean, come on, yaar! Why can't I party with the Bhoothnath? Huh?

You can also stalk the stars arrivals in Tampa from a special rooftop.

Exactly when celebrities will land in Tampa is unclear. Most IIFA visitors from India will pass through customs and catch connecting flights at New York's JFK or Newark's airport. When famous names appear on official flight manifests, their estimated arrival time in Tampa will be announced on airport and IIFA social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.

Now if you set you set up a webcam so I could see Shotgun arrive.

----

I kind of like the sound of Sidharth Malhotra in the Priceless remake.

----

Sonam Kapoor as Dr. Mili, sports physiotherapist.

----

Is this Parineeti's next project?

----

The story of who is/isn't starring in Shuddhi (today it's NOT Aamir Khan) makes me wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the script… or maybe the role is unusual enough (maybe?) that nobody established wants to tackle it? I don't know?

Karan and Karan, what about some of the heroes with some "name recognition" but haven't had a big break yet. PLUS, they wouldn't ask for as much cash as your Hrihitks and Aamirs.

You've got Sushant Singh Rajput, Vidyut Jamwal, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, and my personal all-time favorite: Kunal Khemu. Kunal Khemu is SO talented and he has bupkis going on right now.

----

Esha Deol is heading to Kannada films. (TOI link) Is Esha still trying for an acting career??

I could say the same for Imran Khan, who has signed on with Nikhil Advani. Actually… Nikhil might just be able to pull something decent out of Imran, so I won't write this one off yet. I'll wait for the trailer. Heh.

----

I think the emphasis on this title is all wrong. It should be Miss India Koyal Rana is lucky enough to get a song with Yo Yo Honey Singh. You guys, PARTY WITH THE BHOOTHNATH. Party. With. The. Bhoothnath. I can't get enough of this video. Is the Big B going to IIFA? I demand that he perform this song with Honey.

----

FLASHBACK! Enjoy Kunal Khemu strutting his stuff in Superstar.

2 comments:

odadune said...

I don't know that "failing to meet Aamir Khan's high standards" means that there's anything particularly wrong with the Shuddhi script. Supposedly the film involves something like 150 days of shooting (and with the release date already locked, so not a lot of wiggle room as when those 150 days fall). Basically that automatically removes anybody who's already committed to even one other project with a shooting schedule that overlaps. And since it's reputedly expensive (reincarnation romance with half the story as a period piece), it's difficult for a producer to justify casting most of the people you name as alternatives, except maybe Sushant, who's popular enough to potentially have committed to an overlapping project.

I woke up with Party With The Bhootnath in my head, so it's not just you. :)

Filmi Girl said...

That is an EXCELLENT point but… I can't help thinking that there must be something really risky in the narration/script because wouldn't this be the kind of ambitious project a hero should jump for? Like Hrithik or Aamir, especially, have tackled this kind of stuff before… but the cost is a good point. Still, it could be a HUGE opportunity for a guy like Sushant (or I'm still pulling for Vidyut. Imagine Vidyut doing period-piece martial arts…!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl