Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday Post: Hi, Mo!!! How's Bombay?!

We bid a sad farewell to cinematographer VK Murthy today.

Murthy, who shot India's first cinemascope movie 'Kagaz Ke Phool', is best remembered for his stunning camera work for all films of legendary Guru Dutt. His picturisation of the song 'Chaudavin ka Chand' is still considered one of the best cinematographic works that Hindi cinema has seen and his work in classics like 'Kagaz Ke Phool' and 'Sahib, Bibi aur Ghulam' won him Filmfare Awards.

I had all these grand plans for this morning--i.e. I wanted to start a list of the films you HAVE to have seen to be considered a film buff to counteract that one going around FB that has Pixar crap but no Sholay--but instead I had to entertain a cranky cat and then I got distracted by watching youtube videos of A Band Of Boys. (Nain Katari. #NeverForget)

----

Main Tera Hero seems to be doing reasonably well, although it wasn't playing here…

----

Waheeda Rehman is one classy lady.

"I can talk about myself. I know I was successful, I was liked and loved and respected; so I was happy with that.

"But today there is much more. The present generation has got a much shorter (screen) life than what we had. There is always somebody standing in queue mainly because of the (influx of) models and beauty contests.

"Who will take whose place, they don't know and this must be running at the back of their mind. They have become more insecure and it is more challenging."

----

In Tampa, IIFA business is picking up though still not going gangbusters. "But a late surge can be the rule when a big show — like last year's Kenny Chesney concert, which drew 47,500 to Raymond James Stadium — comes to town."

The use of Kenny Chesney as a yardstick really cracked me up for some reason. Or possibly it's just 6am and I'm loopy. Either way… KENNY CHESNEY. Ha!

Meanwhile, the Times of India, who ran the (apparently) one time only INTERNATIONAL Times of India Film Awards finds the courage to report on complaints against IIFA. Gee… I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the complaint since I have no skin in the game, so to speak, I just wanted to point out that they HAD published it.

----

Salman Khan scolds some kids for not having good manners. I admit it; I enjoyed this story. These kids today, I tell ya…

----

Malayalam director Lijo Jose Pellissery's Antichrist may get made in Hindi. I'd be afraid of the cast, though, especially if they were compelled to use a "name" actor.

I didn't know anything about this guy but I can now tell you that he has a hilariously fawning wikipedia profile and his first two films were flops but Amen did quite well.

^^ I am intrigued. I would watch this.

----

Wait a minute… so Deepika is out of Shuddhi and back with Ranveer in Bajirao and Mastani?

----

Oh ho ho! John Abraham leaves behind the crap political "thrillers" and rom-coms and returns to masala?

Rocky Handsome, which too is an action flick, will see Johnny boy as a grudging person who is hell bent on extracting revenge over an illegal drug network that has consumed the innocent life of a tender eight-year-old girl as well as her mother.

Has he decided that maybe he should give us what we want i.e. not Madras Cafe and/or I Me aur Main? I can only hope it's coming from a place of understanding and not condescension. There's nothing more infuriating than a "hero" full of disdain for his audience. It's like, don't do ME any favors, Johnny. I can not watch this just as easily as I didn't watch Madras Cafe.

----

Bebo isn't just doing an item in Gabbar.

----


The Ranbir Kapoor FC shared an article from the Mirror that had a sneak look of Chintu's son in Bombay Velvet but I'm interested in the part where they say the release date is STILL Christmas… hmm… maybe things aren't as settled as we thought?

----

I don't know this actor but I was sucked in by the headline: DAILY SOAPS ARE A GRAVEYARD FOR ACTORS. I'm not sure what I think of that. On the one hand, I suppose it depends on your goals as an actor. Being able to feed your family because you're earning a steady wage at a job that you enjoy? Daily soaps are probably great for that. Wanting to tackle a lot of different roles and/or become a jet setting fashion icon? Probably not so much.

I wonder how much freedom there is for television actors to take on things like stage plays. If you were working at a daily soap but then at night performing Tagore plays… I can think of worse things in life. But daily soap operas offer a different challenge than theater or film. With a daily soap, you'd have the chance to dig really deep into a character and uncover meaning through repetition AND through the daily connection with your audience. Of course, you could also just show up to set and bullshit your lines while muttering to yourself about how some producer's cousin's friend's son got the role you wanted in Bombay Velvet.

It's all a matter of perspective but I'm of the opinion that there are no boring roles, just boring actors.

----

Everything trickling out about Himesh's the Xpose is amazing.

This film is based in the 1960s and I love the way Pran-ji used to act. So I have tried to do what he did," [Honey Singh] said.

I CAN'T MAKE THIS UP! I love it!

And a hat tip to Arun for this post on Honey Singh.

----

Still obsessed with Heropanti, too. Photos from the trailer launch. Tiger has something about him… I'm not convinced of his acting yet, though.

----

Vir Das on his character in Revolver Rani.

"I am usually funny and nice. But Rohan is a horrible person, I didn’t like his character at all. He is someone you’ll feel offended by. Piyush was playing what he was good at, Kangana will play what she is good at and I had to play what no one thinks I am good at playing. This was the biggest challenge for me.”

----

Somebody is letting Abbas Tyrewala make another film. (TOI link so story probably funneled here first.) I like the part about Swara Bhaskar, not so keen on the rom-com aspects. Still, all the best, AT! I hope you recovered that money from Preity.

----

Report from the Femina Miss India pageant.

----

And just because: METAL IN BANGALORE!

In the early 90s, the first of India’s homegrown IT companies began setting up shop in Bangalore, drawing a huge influx of young IT professionals from across the country, often fresh from their college engineering degrees. This young populace brought with it much of the college culture of rock bands and music, and a thriving subculture began taking shape in Bangalore’s many pubs and clubs, which sprung up to take advantage of the youth explosion. The result was a multicultural, open-minded city where alcohol was cheap and the offbeat was not just accepted but embraced.

I highly recommend the documentary Global Metal if you haven't seen it yet. Here is the part on India:

----

THE BAND OF BOYS are back with the "Ungli Song."

And if you don't know the Band of Boys, you should. True story: the other day we were having a family dinner and my mom trolls me, "Oh, you like boy bands, right, so you must like One Direction." OHHH! BURN! Obviously I took the bait and gave her my thesis on how much I hate 1D because while technically they are a bunch of guys in a "vocal" group, they are also a bunch of douchebags who refuse to dance, wear spangly costumes, and--worst of all--they mock the boys bands who do. As if 1D was more "authentic" for not wearing fringed vests. I tell you!

----

Trailer for the Hindi version of Pizza and already I don't like how they made the hero look all evil and ominous. He's supposed to be a likable schmuck! WTF, UTV?! I feel like they've missed the whole point of the film. Sigh.

2 comments:

Mo Pitz said...

Thanks for the shout-out! Bombay's great!

RE: Soap actors -- I have a friend who has been trying to break into Bollywood for sometime -- had supporting role in a craptastic film last year -- but what I remember him telling me a couple of years ago is that he had a conversation about acting with a certain star with a very filmi family/background whose response was "Why don't you try television?" and my friend has pretty much hated this guy ever since. He said it was an incredibly insulting thing to say.

Filmi Girl said...

@Mo *waves*

That is the attitude… but it also seems insulting to say that television is below an actor's dignity. Especially when you don't come from a filmi background, there's nothing wrong with taking what you can get, at least in my opinion. There are some good actors on television! It's not their fault if producer's cousin's friend's son gets the film role, you know?

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl